Are you in the area of Rotterdam (Netherlands) and interested in butterflies and moths? Then please look no further! I personally am the honorary curator of the Lepidoptera collection of the Natural History of Rotterdam. Behind the scenes of this museum, there is a fairly large insect collection that for the biggest part consists of Lepidoptera. Do you want to take a look here? Then contact me and I will show you around behind the scenes. Just make sure to co-ordinate this properly with me, since I am not in Rotterdam frequently to work in the entomological collection – at most I am there once a week, and I will probably have to adapt or change my personal schedule in order to accomodate you.
Some of my work there includes:
- Identifying and labeling butterflies and moths (giving them the proper species names)
- Adding scientific material to the collection, and potentially publishing about these findings
- Pinning/spreading reference material, contributing to the conservation of this collection in general
Browse the collection online: http://datasets.nlbif.nl/nmr/index.php?lang=en – Follow this link in order the acces the collection database and view the available species.
Visiting is, of course, free of charge, and I am happy to show everybody around behind the scenes.
Butterflies & moths for public display, Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam
Ornithoptera goliath, Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam
What are you waiting for? Come and take a look.
Dear reader – thank you very much for visiting! Your readership is appreciated. Are you perhaps…..
- Not done browsing yet? Then click here to return to the homepage.
- Looking for a specific species? Then click here to see the full species list.
- Looking for general (breeding)guides and information? Then click here to see the general information.
- Interested in a certain family? Then click here to see all featured Lepidoptera families.
Was this information helpful to you? Then please consider contributing here (click!) to keep this information free and support the future of this website. This website is completely free to use, and crowdfunded. Contributions can be made via paypal, patreon, and several other ways.